Monday, November 27, 2023

Here We Go Again... For the past 4 years I have been trying to do whatever I can to make you aware of the ongoing water crisis and need for clean water in the developing world. You have been listening. I can tell because your generous support has generated approximately $40,000 for World Vision’s clean water projects. You have stuck with me through some ridiculous antics such as the Rick Roll Run where I listened to Never Gonna Give You Up on repeat during a long run. Then there was the Meat Loaf Marathon with I Would Do Anything For Love on repeat for 6+ hours during the 2022 Chicago Marathon. Who can forget that? I can’t, I’ve tried. If the psychological challenges were not enough you supported and encouraged some food challenges during some of the 13 mile training runs. First was the Baker’s Dozen, 13 miles with a donut per mile. The next year I had to one up it with 13 White Castle Sliders and the Slider Run. Then, the most painful of all came this past year with the Hot Chicken Challenge. 12 of the hottest chicken wings on the market and one Nashville Hot Chicken Strip known as “Insanity”. To top it all off and bring this past year to a close you opened up your hearts and your wallets again to see me run 20 miles in a Chicken Suit along the Chicago Lakefront while being chased by the Swedish Chef from the Muppet Show. It is at this point that I need to reflect on my life choices and ask myself a few questions. What if I were to just focus on my training rather than all of these ridiculous distractions? How much time would I be able to shave off of my PR (Personal Record) if I were to do that? Wouldn’t the training season go so much better if I were to just stick to the plan and train? Do I regret all of that time wasted with foolishness? Then I just laugh. I REGRET NOTHING! If I had the chance to go back and do marathon training differently, would I? Nope! If I were to do it all again, would I make any changes? Nope! Or, at least, not really. I would still have to one up myself. You see, I do have a chance to do it all again. I have signed up to train for, run, and raise support for World Vision again 2024. There is a little twist. Due to an anticipated work trip that would conflict with the Chicago Marathon I have signed up for the Madison Marathon in Madison, Wisconsin on November 10, 2024. FAQ Is Wisconsin ready for all I have to offer? We will find out. Will there be ridiculous challenges to gain your attention and hopefully encourage you to give to World Vision?I think the only real question there is whether or not I will be able to one up myself. In other words, YES! Can you start giving now? I’m glad you asked. Yes, my page is now live. It is like I always say, “Give early and give often”. In fact, once you recover from your Thanksgiving Turkey Coma, on Giving Tuesday, the first $400,000 in donations will be matched starting at 8:00 am Central Time What happens to kids in the developing world without access to clean water? More than 800 children under age 5 die every day from diarrhea caused by contaminated water, poor sanitation, and improper hygiene. But we believe the global water and sanitation crisis can be solved within our lifetimes.

No comments: