Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Fakeon

There are many products out there that are just plain bad ideas. Some are so bad of an idea that I am left with no other choice than to try them. I am by no means a vegetarian however I have tried my hand at many of the meatless alternatives. For example, the meatless chicken patties, very good. Meatless burgers, not bad. And I can certainly enjoy the meatless sausage and brats. Even the meatless ground beef, a little chewy, but entirely eatable.
Then there is the bacon or, as I like to call it, the fakeon. First of all. They tried a little to hard to try to make it look like bacon. So hard that in fact it looks nothing like bacon. They put in some red sections that are supposed to look like meat and some white sections that represent the fat. One thing I can say for it, when it was cooking, it did smell like bacon. That was where the similarities ended. The box said it would get crispy. I guess what they meant was dried out. And then there was the flavor. Have you ever had those fake bacon bits, Bacos? They contain a lot of ingredients and a lot of flavoring all of which to disguise the fact that there is nothing remotely resembling bacon in the bottle. Well think of the flavor of Bacos gone bad. Then multiply that by 7.125.
There you have it. That is how bad the Fakeon is. However, if you are like me, you will not take my word for it. Go see for yourself and enjoy the experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

try turkey bacon. It's a fair substitute.... congratulations on the engagement. I am truly happy for you.

Anonymous said...

One thing I have always been confused about is why on earth a vegetarian would want to eat something that was supposed to resemble or taste like meat? Doesn't sort of go against some of the principles of the concept, if eating meat is bad, then why would you want the taste of yummy yummy dead cow in your mouth? But on the other hand I completely support the concept of this stuff if there is a medical reason for it.